BLFS profile did something to my VIM

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Nov 21 22:05:13 PST 2005

Mark wrote:
> When I press 'i' to insert, no --INSERT-- appears on the last line.  In

That means vim is running in "vi" compatible mode. Add this to your
~/.vimrc file:

set nocompatible

LFS book has you create /etc/vimrc and that option "set nocompatible" is
there. Can you check to see if that file exists after running the profile?

You'll also want to add "set backspace=2"

The changing case might be a $TERM problem. I've sometimes had to add to
my .vimrc file "set term=xterm-color"

Even though I might not be using xterm-color as my $TERM variable's
value, it seems to work just fine in all the terminal emulators I use.

--
Gerard Beekmans