SOAP and client/server network

Thomas Pegg thomasp at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Nov 21 18:16:59 PST 2005

Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> Nice to see some action on ALFS again even if I'm mostly talking to
> myself besides Jeremy and Thomas :)
>
> SOAP was suggested again (by Thomas). I know next to nothing about SOAP
> so can anybody give a real quick answer to this simple question:
>
> Doe SOAP itself take care of client/server stuff? Ie., will it establish
> a connection to an IP address and what not, or is that up to the
> programmer to figure out and simple call SOAP routines to send/receive
> stuff from the network socket or whatever it's called?
I don't know if this is true of all SOAP implementations or not, but one
such I was looking at was cSOAP (csoap.sourceforge.net), written in C.
It has built in client/server functions, it uses nanohttp as it's base
for it's use of the http protocol. Seems rather simple to setup based on
the examples in their documentation.

Thomas