SOAP and client/server network

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Nov 21 18:00:12 PST 2005

Nice to see some action on ALFS again even if I'm mostly talking to
myself besides Jeremy and Thomas :)

SOAP was suggested again (by Thomas). I know next to nothing about SOAP
so can anybody give a real quick answer to this simple question:

Doe SOAP itself take care of client/server stuff? Ie., will it establish
a connection to an IP address and what not, or is that up to the
programmer to figure out and simple call SOAP routines to send/receive
stuff from the network socket or whatever it's called?

Some time ago I was given a book by Addison-Wesley (a book publisher --
they do a lot of programming books) called "UNIX Network Programming." I
never had a reason to look at it, but it seems the time has come to
figure it out. This book is basically the UNIX network programming
Bible. I'll be doing some reading :)

--
Gerard Beekmans