Request status update

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Nov 21 17:55:28 PST 2005

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> Ok, then what about this: First we decide *how* they will communicate

Working on it. I'm looking into some client/server projects to get some
ideas.

As with most projects you just start simple and grow from there. Perhaps
we shouldn't try to find the perfect implementation, we might still be
looking next year. We could just start and figure out the rest later.

Establishing a TCP connection should be simple in most any language.

* The daemon runs, listens on a port and just idles.
* The client connects to that port

Now I imagine once the connection is established, you should be able to
send data to it, just like you would do after opening a file you can use
the usual printf() statement to write data to your file descriptor. Can
you write to a network equivalent the same way?

 >and what will be communiated

Let's keep it simple for now. Client will send a test string across. The
server will run this string as a command and send output to the client
who in turn displays it.

Voila, and that will be our proof-of-concept. Since nobody here are
expert programmers let's get this one figured out first.

In the mean time I read Thomas' other email regarding SOAP being a good
established protocol.

I'd like to do this thing in C. I am very rusty in C and could use the
experience again. This seems a good time to start gaining more C knowledge.

I'm going to start a new thread with regards to initial client/server
and SOAP. Not sure if they are mutually exclusive or not so let's find
that out.

--
Gerard Beekmans