Request status update

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Nov 21 17:07:20 PST 2005

Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> I'm way behind. Last talks I was part of was the SOAP discussions.
>
> I see some threads regarding Jeremy's jhalfs where development seems to
> be concentrating lately.

You may or may not be aware, but development on alfs stagnated greatly.
Mostly because we had no active developers and the combination of
features requested seemed too great a task for those of us that were active.

So I started playing around with concepts. I realized that we really had
two major feature requests: one was the parsing of the book into
automatable form, and the other was the controlling of remote builds.

The first one seemed the easier of the two, so since there was *no*
development happening on alfs at the moment, I decided to start what I
could and jhalfs was born. It wasn't meant to replace alfs, but just so
that we could directly build and parse the book and remove the need for
the continuing maintenance of profiles.

jhalfs basically writes a Makefile based on the commands stripped from
the LFS book, downloads the sources if you like, and kicks off make on
the new Makefile.

> I still am interested in one of my long standing ideas of remotely
> controlling LFS installations. Instead of logging into every machine to
> update a package, I'd rather run one app and have it do all the work for
> me. Using a program like KDE's Konsole is handy to a point -- it can
> duplicate everything you type in one window in all your other sessions.
> If your are ssh'ed into different machines, you can do things easily
> that way. But it's far from ideal of course.

I'm also interested in finishing what we started with the alfs concept.
But I'm still unsure what direction to take.

> So...what will it take? I'm not that good of a programmer to take on an
> entire project like this myself.

Neither are the rest of us, which is why alfs stagnated. We could work
on something in C slowly... Otherwise, perhaps we could start working on
something in Perl or Python. It's the 'where to start' with this one
that flusters me.

--
JH