jhalfs TODO

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Mon Nov 21 15:28:35 PST 2005

Randy McMurchy wrote:

> BLFS can be automated, but each different user/reader needs to
> customize it for him/herself.

Agree.  The question is the degree of automation and the defaults.  My
own opinion is that the required and recommended dependencies should be
there by default.  If there is an option like xorg and xfree86, then the
first listed (should always be xorg, but I haven't checked) would be the
default.

The hard part is the optional dependencies.  I'm not sure how we would
automate those.  Perhaps `make DEPS='list' package` could list the
optional dependencies for a package similar to a `make -n` lists
commands that would be executed.  Then a `make OPT='dep1,dep2' package`
would make it the way the user wants.  I'm not sure how to handle
optional dependencies of dependencies though.  That's tough.

Honestly, I'd be quite happy for now if we had a Makefile that just
listed the dependency chain in the proper build order.  We could work on
the selection and build portions later.

  -- Bruce