Setting the initial root password

M.Canales.es manuel at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Nov 16 10:28:04 PST 2005

El Miércoles, 16 de Noviembre de 2005 19:08, Bruce Dubbs escribió:
> One convenience you might consider adding is an initial null root
> password.  This eliminates the need to chroot manually and set the
> password.
>
> cat 'root:::::::' > /etc/shadow
>
> This may or may not be appropriate for the LFS Book as the book
> specifically says to manually set the root password.

Like the Makefile say when the build is finished:

"If you are an experienced LFS user, several of those steps can be
skipped or done in a different way. But then, that is something
that you already know and there is no need to discuss it here."

I.e., you can to edit $LFS/etc/shadow to make the root's password empty before
to reboot. There is no need to chroot to set a real password for experienced
users ;-)

--
Manuel Canales Esparcia