jhalfs feedback

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Wed Nov 16 08:54:24 PST 2005

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

> Yes, I think you misunderstood me. My proposal is to add that
> functionality. So that when you use jhalfs -M first 'make clean' is run,
> then 'make' unless you specify --resume or some such switch.

I would prefer the opposite sense.  That is a make clean-then-all or
similar target. I  admit I can't think of a better name right now.

>> When I first ran make, the system failed because of
>> 020-creatingtoolsdir.  If the mkdir in that target were preceeded with a
>> - or had a -p switch, it would not fail.  If the ln in the same target
>> also had a leading - or had the switch -n added, it also would not fail.
>

> Yes. What really should be done is not hard-code those chapter04
> commands in jhalfs, but have them sourced and run from the scriptlets
> like the rest of the book. In fact, as much as possible, jhalfs
> shouldn't hard-code anything. Granted there will likely always be
> work-arounds and exceptions to make the thing work, but I think we can
> find another solution here besides just dropping in those first few
> targets statically.

That would be nice, but I think the startup portion of the process here
is 1) relatively stable and 2) very important.  As you say, hard-coding
is not preferable, but perhaps justified during the critical startup.

Perhaps there should be a target 'start-at-chapter-5' if the user wants
to skip the automatic execution of Chapter 4.

  -- Bruce