News Server Offline Indefinitely

Richard A Downing richard at langside.org.uk
Wed Nov 9 13:27:12 PST 2005

On Wed, 9 Nov 2005 10:53:33 -0500 (GMT+5)
silverspurg at comcast.net wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Nov 2005, Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
>
> > It is off for good. We can turn it back on if you like, but again today I was
>
> And a great wailing was heard...

Why?  The gmane service is almost exactly the same service as we've had since the posting-to-news was turned off.  All that's needed is a gmane mirror of the few groups that they don't carry (it'd be nice if they also called chat chat, or maybe we could call chat general), and we are back to the status quo.  Indeed better than status quo, since no-one has to maintain the damn thing.

Good call, Jeremey.

R.