package downloads

Joachim Beckers jbeckers at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Mar 20 04:27:02 PST 2005

Hi,

Found this in an older thread:

Bruce Dubbs wrote:

 > Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
 >
 >> As it stands right now, we haven't even changed the main LFS profile
to do auto-download from ftp.linuxfromscratch.org, and the load
generated by that will be lower than the BLFS load on anduin (there are
a lot fewer packages, and not so many large ones). I guess someone needs
to make a policy decision as to whether the profiles in general should
be distributed this way :-)

 > I'd like you guys to hold off automating downloads from anduin where
you can for the present.  However, if there is a problem package or two,
by all means, use it.

 > After the site becomes reasonably well known, I would like to monitor
the bandwidth usage for a while to see if it casues problems with the
ISP.  I'm not expecting problems, but I don't want to spike the usage
too early.

Is there still any objection against changing the download urls in the
blfs profile to use anduin?
Currently there are a lot of dead links in our url-lists (and apart from
those dead links, it also seems that ftp.gnome.org is down) and that
should really be fixed before we release the profile.

Joachim