[RFC] BLFS Profile: Dependencies not included in the BLFS Book

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Mar 12 09:27:18 PST 2005

Joachim Beckers wrote:

> What exactly does this say? (I mean litteraly)
> It says there is a package "foo". It's not just a package; we have some
> info about it that tells us the requirements. Litteraly it says:
> "package foo depends on name bar and on version 1.5.4".
>
> Of course this is ridiculous, and we all know that {requires} stands for
> a package, but it's not what the xml litteraly says.

So this could be solved by changing {requires} to {requires-package}? I
don't see much value in that, the XML is not meant to be read as
English, and the profile writer should know that {requires} is used only
for dependency packages, not anything else.

The only reason to add {package} elements inside {requires} would be if
{requires} supported things _other than_ packages as well, but it does not.