[RFC] BLFS Profile: Dependencies not included in the BLFS Book

Joachim Beckers jbeckers at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Mar 12 09:00:18 PST 2005

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> What do you mean by {package} depending on a {name}? How is this
> different from {requires} and {utilizes} using {name}?

Well, let me explain using an example:
{package name="foo"}
   {packageinfo}
     {requires}
       {name}bar{/name}
       {version}1.5.4{/version}
     {/requires}
   {/packageinfo}
{/package}

What exactly does this say? (I mean litteraly)
It says there is a package "foo". It's not just a package; we have some
info about it that tells us the requirements. Litteraly it says:
"package foo depends on name bar and on version 1.5.4".

Of course this is ridiculous, and we all know that {requires} stands for
a package, but it's not what the xml litteraly says.

I hope this makes my point a bit more clear...

PS: I do realize that while in my first post I suggested a more simple
syntax, I'm now defending a more extended one. :-p Funny how one's view
can change while thinking.

Joachim