[RFC] BLFS Profile: Dependencies not included in the BLFS Book

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Mar 12 08:36:35 PST 2005

Joachim Beckers wrote:

> because a {package} doesn't depend on a {name} (like in the second
> example), but on a {package} that has a {name} (like in the first
> example). also, the first example separates requirements from optional
> packages, which might come out handy when doing dependency-resolution.

I don't think I understand your comments here :-(

What do you mean by {package} depending on a {name}? How is this
different from {requires} and {utilizes} using {name}?

Also, the current syntax separates required packages from optional
packages just fine; all the {requires} elements are required, and all
the {utilizes} elements are optional. Adding another layer inside these
elements, or combining them together, won't really provide any benefit
for dependency resolution.