ALFS2 comunication protocol

Mark Ellis markp.ellis at ntlworld.com
Mon Jul 18 05:53:12 PDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-15 at 20:51 +0200, Matthias Berndt wrote:

> > Is threading really necessary?
>
> Yes, I think so. Our processes could last long and INHO we need some
> kind of status request. It would be fine too, if we could get stdout and
> stderr in 'realtime' from client to server.
>
> Regards
> 	Matthias Berndt

I'm not intending to get too involved in this question, I don't know
enough about threading beyond it's not as simple as it looks :)

I do want to just point out that for our purposes, threading can never
replace a good fork, particularly when it comes to most of the actions
performed by <stage>, such as setting up chroots and modifying process
UID & GID.

Ta
Mark