ALFS2 comunication protocol

James Robertson jwrober at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jul 14 08:07:08 PDT 2005

Matthias Berndt wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> after digging through some remote procedure call technics and looking at
> the available implementations for C, I havn't found anything with seems
> suitable to our needs. Every protocol or implementation lags on
> threading support, massive dependencies or other inadequacies. IMHO
> Corba is absolutly overkill. SOAP doesn't seems to have any advantage
> over XMLRPC in our case. XMLRPC needs a HTML server and
> implementationsa are either overkill (apache) or doesn't have required
> features (abyss).
>
> At the moment I see two solutions.
> 1. We add missing things to available implementations.
> 2. We create our own protocol. This way would cause more work but may
>    give better results.

Wow, that bad huh.  Did you have anything in mind for either 1 or 2
above?  What is missing in the available implementations that we need?
What would it take to create our own?  It seems that it would be really
hard to write our own.  If XMLRPC is built into libxml2 and that is
already a runtime dep, what all does it require to run?  What in the
http server does it need?  Before we pick an implementation or what to
code, we still need to come up with what the thing is supposed to do.
See this thread:

http://archives.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/alfs-discuss/2005-July/006859.html

I can start a wiki page and we can get to writing up something.

James