User Feedback

Thomas Pegg thomasp at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jul 11 19:31:44 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-11 at 11:24 +0100, Declan Moriarty wrote:
> As a first time user, I thought I would provide some feedback top you
> guys.
>
> I built the LFS-6.0 under alfs. It went fine, and overall I was very
> pleased. The wad of packages required is small enough to be downloadable
> in an hour or two, and it went well.
Good to hear.

> I would much prefer this approach from the blfs profile.
>
> 	1. I mark & download the packages I want in my box.
> 	2. I check a box to install dependencies.
> 	3. I mark the packages I want, and start it.

This is what I personally would like to see too, but currently none of
the automation tools support this. This is something that is planned for
the new tool, but that's quite a long ways off at this point.

> I have no way (short of reading each page of the rather long blfs book)
> to know what the software requirements are. Aspell requires which-2.16.
> How am I expected to figure the likes of that? Automation is out of the
> window.
Though you can view the dependencies of with nALFS, it's not obvious.
But even with that knowledge, unless you rearrange the order of the
packages within the profile, you can't fully automate the building of
most of the blfs packages.

--
Thomas
LFS User : 4729 / Linux User : 298329