idea for <stage><environment>

James Robertson jwrober at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jul 5 06:05:45 PDT 2005

Mark Ellis wrote:
> I noticed something in the archives from a few months ago about clearing
> the environment on entering a stage. The suggested solution with nALFS
> was to use a dummy value to <root>, eg /, which as a side effect clears
> the environment.
>
> A better solution would seem to be a mode attribute setting on
> <environment> of 'clear'. Incidentally, I dont understand the current
> use of mode on environment as append|prepend. The variable elements have
> this use of mode, which makes more sense anyway, is this duplication
> necessary ?
>
> Ta
> Mark

I don't know about the root/clear thing, but the <environment> element
is designed to allow you to manipulate the running environment of the
tool and the shell commands the tools runs.  The append and prepend mode
options allows you to take an existing env var and fully manipulate it.
  The DTD doc uses LDFLAGS. Another example is PATH.

James