permissions element and mkdir

Mark Ellis markp.ellis at ntlworld.com
Sun Jul 3 09:29:24 PDT 2005

First awkward question from me !

I'm a little confused about the use of the permissions tag in mkdir, I
spotted this when updating my mkdir handler from using <mode> to
<permissions>.

As a concept, <permissions> in mkdir is fine, but we have <permissions>
defined as a completely separate handler, is it wise to use an element
of the same name in two completely different situations ? The DTD
description of mkdir actually points to the permissions handler, which
would be moderately non-sensical, as this would be asking for the base
dir and target file information twice for the same operation. At best
you'll never be able to validate a profile, at worst this will be
downright confusing.

Any thoughts ?

Ta
Mark