a few decisions

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Mon Jan 31 22:05:47 PST 2005

Gerard Beekmans wrote:

>On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 22:50, Jeremy Utley wrote:
>

>>Likewise, count me in as well.  I haven't been as active in the last few
>>months as I'd like to have been, but I'd like to get involved more again
>>on the ALFS side of things.
>>

>Let's make it happen then. LFS is great of course but I think we all
>agree that it gets a burden to manually maintain a system for upgrades.
>Two gets annoying. You don't want to think about over half a dozen. It
>gets kind of crazy. I could spend an entire day upgrading each of our
>servers with new kernels and stuff. It is actually a little sad where
>the *compile* job is the *shortest* task of all. And kernels and Glibc
>take a bit of time.

I can imagine.  For me, the hardest part is keeping track of new package
releases, so I know what you mean.

>We have a nice chance here to do some client/server stuff and a lof of
>similar neat things. We can really shine in that area with our XML
>flexibility.

There's quite a bit of new code in the repo already, and I think Boris
(NeoCool, for those on IRC) already has some client/server functionality.

>I realize I'm preaching to the choir right now. Maybe it's not a bad
>idea to get a list of what each of the active people on this list
>considers their personal priority items?

Well, for me, I think the first thing we need to do is get the
client/server functionality written and operational.  The other things
that have been planned for nALFS2, such as generating the profile
directly from the book's XML, could wait, IMHO.  My coding skills are
very basic, as I've only started to learn C, but if there's anything I
can do, count me in.  That includes helping with docs, whatever the case
may be.

-J-