Small Bug when nALFS checks the MD5 sum

Phil Spink phil.spink at mesmeric.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 31 10:04:26 PST 2005

On 01/31/05 10:20:18, jamie bennett wrote:
> Quoting Matthias Berndt <mai02cal at studserv.uni-leipzig.de>:
>
> > On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:04:25 +0000
> > Phil Spink <alfs-disuss at mesmeric.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > > I keep all my package files (tar balls) read only to avoid
> acidents. I
> > > ran nALFS 1.2.4 agains LFS profile 6.0.1 profile, all the files
> are
> > > copied to /tools as read only, that should be ok, but the problem
> is
> > > that the MD5 check fails, complaining it can't open the files,
> > > changing the permisions in my package are to RW and all works ok,
> > > looks like when the md5 check is being done its opening the file
> for
> > > RW.
> >
> > I can't see this behavior. My tarballs are also readonly for all
> and
> > i've got no problems. Also 'fopen' is "r" in lib/digest.c.
> >
> > Can erveryone read the files? (... or ony some users/groups ...)
>
> nALFS opens the files read-only.
>
>     --    Jamie

Ok its not nALFS, sorry I should have checked a little further, it is
the profile or a an undocumented pre-requasit. The permissions on my
tarballs are -r--r-----

When they are copied to tools, they keep the same permisions but the
user/group is now root/root. In the profile the effective user is
changed to &lfs-user, and then the md5 check is done, but &lfs-user,
does not have read permissions.

The following error is generated

E: Unable to open the archive when checking digest: /tools/packages-
6.0/binutils-2.15.91.0.2.tar.bz2

E: Wrong md5 digest of archive: /tools/packages-6.0/binutils-
2.15.91.0.2.tar.bz2

I now know quite a bit more about nALFS and the LFS profile than when I
started looking at ALFS 2 days ago :-)

Phil Spink