remote execution

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Jan 30 19:56:28 PST 2005

Hiya guys,

Some food for thought. I think it's been brought up already but I'm not
sure anymore.

It's starting to get cumbersome maintaining a whole bunch of LFS systems
the way things are done with ALFS right now. The number of systems I'm
actively maintaining are around ten or so now, give or take some at any
given time. Upgrading a single package like a kernel has become a
nuisance of sorts. Upgrade the profiles, synchronize the local master
profile with every system. This can be made a little easier by using SVN
and running "svn update" on every system prior to running nALFS...or
making "svn update" part of the build.sh script before it even runs
nALFS with the desired parameters.

Then it's execute those profiles so a package gets updated. Again this
can somewhat be automated if every system has ssh keys setup properly so
it becomes a matter of "ssh remotesystem runscript."

A nicer solution would be if nALFS were to be network capable. Send
profiles to a remote host and have a nALFS client listening on the
remote host that accepts the input and starts sending the output back to
the originating host.

Or better, not all the output, just the stage/status changes. That way
it could become a monitor and run the same profile on a bunch of
different systems at once and have some progress updates to see which
host is how far along.

I don't imagine this is trivial to do and would require some extensive
changes to the program structure and code to facilitate something like
this. I do think that a lot of people would greatly appreciate it.

Alternatively instead of a "push" system a "pull" system might work too.
Login to the remote system and run an update script. It downloads the
changed profiles (svn update again might work) and then run nALFS on
these modified profiles while making sure the right order is maintained
and not all profiles need to be run upon update. For instance, if a
change is made to the Tools-phase, there is no need to run those on an
already finished LFS system. It's just about chapter 6 and beyond and
whatever else is added from BLFS and custom profiles.

What would it take to make this happen?

--
Gerard Beekmans