Information about make-utilities.

Stef Bon stef at bononline.nl
Wed Feb 23 04:18:25 PST 2005

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> Stef Bon wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for a way to determine the dependencies out of the same files
>> the configure script uses. If there is a local database with information
>> about all the packages already installed, the missing dependencies can be
>> reported right away. This can be much faster than the configurescript
>> does.
>
> This is not possible. The configure script does not use any sort of
> 'database' of dependencies, it is a large collection of shell script
> generated by autoconf that does the checking. The autoconf syntax is not
> such that you could parse out the dependencies in any remotely reliable
> fashion. Coupled with the fact that configure.in/configure.ac can
> contain any shell code the developer wants to put in there, there's just
> no way to figure out what the script is going to look for without
> actually running it.

I was afraid that it's not possible.
I was hoping that the configure script in general uses standard tests
and that all configure scripts are build the same way.

As I understand you correctly, that isn't the case, isn't it?

And than, it's obvious, it's not possible to handle the configure script and
all the configure files a different (standard) way. Too bad.
Develeopers should make standardized configure scripts!

Stef