Information about make-utilities.

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Feb 21 20:08:49 PST 2005

Stef Bon wrote:

> I'm looking for a way to determine the dependencies out of the same files
> the configure script uses. If there is a local database with information about
> all the packages already installed, the missing dependencies can be reported right away.
> This can be much faster than the configurescript does.

This is not possible. The configure script does not use any sort of
'database' of dependencies, it is a large collection of shell script
generated by autoconf that does the checking. The autoconf syntax is not
such that you could parse out the dependencies in any remotely reliable
fashion. Coupled with the fact that configure.in/configure.ac can
contain any shell code the developer wants to put in there, there's just
no way to figure out what the script is going to look for without
actually running it.