Information about make-utilities.

Stef Bon stef at bononline.nl
Mon Feb 21 11:16:40 PST 2005

Hello,

I would like to know more about the possibilities of the
make utilities (and aclocal, autoconf en automake).
I want to know it is possible to retrieve the
information of the packagedependencies out of the files
like configure.ac, aclocal.m4  and autogen.sh and alikes.

I have never worked with the tools aclocal, automake and autoconf
before and I'm looking for information about all the possibilities.

Normally, when installing a package, the configure script will give
all the information I need. It will give the dependencies by
trying to compile test programs (as far I can see) and look for standard
programs and information (like pkgconfig).

I'm looking for a way to determine the dependencies out of the same files
the configure script uses. If there is a local database with information about
all the packages already installed, the missing dependencies can be reported right away.
This can be much faster than the configurescript does.

Any information is apreciated.

Stef