distcc and alfs

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Feb 18 10:14:42 PST 2005

On February 18, 2005 10:24 am, Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> Not bad. How much real testing had you been able to do on it before? Did
> you ever finish an entire system? And if so, how many pc's shared in the
> building?

I didn't finish a system yet, i was working through chapter 5 as time
permitted. I had it pretty much finished and during every compile I made sure
all systems were getting compile jobs, etc.

How many systems? Usually two: my laptop and my main server as they are the
two fastest systems I have. There is a third system I have here that I never
fired up but could next time I do some testing. Or it can replace the laptop
anyway.

> Jim, Jeremy U. and I started playing around with this once, but we
> didn't really get very far.  One nice thing is that the profiles are now
> set up to use parallel building if you so desire, so that's already
> cared for.

I've always used my own set of profiles. They're all system specific ones:
they install a base LFS followed by the bits and pieces to make up the system
itself. Some will install KDE, some will not, etc. I've never used any of the
lfs and blfs profiles available because they don't easily tie into my custom
stuff. And there's always packages that blfs don't have yet, so i still need
to maintain bits and pieces of my own stuff.

it's kind of a pain since i duplicate a lot of work myself here. We might want
to talk about this with the new ALFS tool coming up. A lot of it, though, is
personal preference. I have my own way of doing system configuration which is
hard-coded into the profiles. Other people have other ways of doing things
and aren't always compatible with how I like to do things.

--
Gerard Beekmans