Proposed alfs communication model

Jamie Bennett jamie at linuxuk.org
Wed Feb 16 14:03:39 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 21:53 +0000, Matthew Burgess wrote:
>Jamie Bennett wrote:
>> On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 21:15 +0000, Matthew Burgess wrote:
>>
>>>I therefore presume the
>>>messages would all have some indicator of not just the IP address of the
>>>intended recipient, but also the specific module that needs to pick the
>>>message up and act on it?  Or is it a case of each module in turn picks
>>>the message up and simply asks whether it knows how to act on that type
>>>of message?
>>
>> The latter really. The comms module can look at the recipient tag of the
>> message and see whether its local or remote. If local, the comms module
>> would leave the message alone, if remote it will do the SOAP'ing up and
>> transmitting.
>
>OK, one further question then.  As we're aiming at being able to get
>different modules listening/acting on messages (hence using dbus as a
>common message passing mechanism), I assume each message will have a
>"message type" identifier (or equivalent), so that any module can decide
>whether it can/should act on its contents?

Correct, there will be error, build-status, profile-attached, type
messages to name but a few so a module would listen out for ones that it
was interested in. So a module to report the just the current status of
the build, say in a gnome-applet, would just listen out for build-status
messages and show you exactly what package it was currently building on
your remote server in Outer Mongolia ;)

>Matt.

	--	Jamie