Proposed alfs communication model

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Feb 16 13:53:39 PST 2005

Jamie Bennett wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 21:15 +0000, Matthew Burgess wrote:
>
>>I therefore presume the
>>messages would all have some indicator of not just the IP address of the
>>intended recipient, but also the specific module that needs to pick the
>>message up and act on it?  Or is it a case of each module in turn picks
>>the message up and simply asks whether it knows how to act on that type
>>of message?
>
> The latter really. The comms module can look at the recipient tag of the
> message and see whether its local or remote. If local, the comms module
> would leave the message alone, if remote it will do the SOAP'ing up and
> transmitting.

OK, one further question then.  As we're aiming at being able to get
different modules listening/acting on messages (hence using dbus as a
common message passing mechanism), I assume each message will have a
"message type" identifier (or equivalent), so that any module can decide
whether it can/should act on its contents?

Cheers,

Matt.