Proposed alfs communication model

jamie bennett jamie at linuxuk.org
Wed Feb 16 01:03:43 PST 2005

Quoting "Kevin P. Fleming" <kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org>:
> Jamie Bennett wrote:
> > I've put up a little proposed communication model for alfs the way _I'd_
> > like to see it done at
> >
> > 	http://www.linuxuk.org/blog/index.php?itemid=57
>
> I think I like this arrangement a lot, where you can have multiple
> listeners being able to do useful things with the message traffic.
> That's not something I had ever considered when I was thinking about
> this before, but it's a very powerful concept.

Yeah, from the start I had the idea of these seperate modules, with the bare
minimum mimicking nALFS but bolting on more modules would open up the
functionality. That way we can hopefully please everyone. The guys (and gal's)
that want the bare minimum dependancies but require nALFS type operation and on
the other end of the scale, the people who want everything plus the kitchen sink.

It also means that anyone who can program python can make a module for alfs as
long as it uses the D-BUS and listens out for specific messages. There is no
need to know about communication methods (SSL, SOAP, e.t.c) and there is no need
to even know about XML (unless your module monitors the xml profiles of course).

    --    Jamie