Package Download URL's

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Feb 15 21:38:19 PST 2005

Randy McMurchy wrote:

> Same with the TeX downloads. Though they're available in a different
> directory, the BLFS links are broken.

Also keep in mind that the download URLs in the BLFS book refer to the
package tarballs in their originally distributed formats, but anduin
will only have bz2 versions of them.

If Thomas and the others decide to put auto-download into the BLFS
profile, the profile will have to use all bz2 URLs. If someone doesn't
want to download from anduin for some reason (maybe they already have a
lot of the package tarballs locally), they'll have to reformat or
something similar to use the profile.

As it stands right now, we haven't even changed the main LFS profile to
do auto-download from ftp.linuxfromscratch.org, and the load generated
by that will be lower than the BLFS load on anduin (there are a lot
fewer packages, and not so many large ones). I guess someone needs to
make a policy decision as to whether the profiles in general should be
distributed this way :-)