Package Download URL's

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Feb 15 14:34:50 PST 2005

Hi guys,

I've got a thought that may be of interest to you. Noticing things like
the download URL's that become broken as the maintainers update to more
recent version are likely to affect an automated build system, you may
consider using the BLFS package server (anduin) for your downloads.

I'm almost finished uploading all the packages, patches and ancillary
software required by the packages. Also in an md5sum file for each
package. These files will always be available, even when they become
unavailable through the maintainer's download locations.

I'm not quite finished, there's about 15-16 more packages to upload.
Whew, this is way on the downhill side though, figuring I had more than
350 to go when I started.

Anyway, I'll provide details for y'all if you're interested in using
this server. Don't start doing anything yet, as the packages may get
moved around in the file structure just a bit so as to balance the
amount of stuff in each download directory.

Let me know if you're interested in the details on how anduin was
populated with all the package data.

--
Randy

rmlinux: [GNU ld version 2.15.91.0.2 20040727] [gcc (GCC) 3.4.1]
[GNU C Library 2004-07-01 release version 2.3.4] [Linux 2.6.8.1 i686]
16:28:00 up 10 days, 17 min, 8 users, load average: 0.32, 0.25, 0.12