r1752 - alfs/trunk/docs/SRS/chapter01

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Feb 12 04:53:28 PST 2005

matthew at linuxfromscratch.org wrote:
> Author: matthew
> Date: 2005-02-12 05:45:48 -0700 (Sat, 12 Feb 2005)
> New Revision: 1752
>
> Modified:
>    alfs/trunk/docs/SRS/chapter01/chapter01.xml
> Log:
> Attempt to indent XML in a standard way

So, here's what I did:

export XMLLINT_INDENT="^I" (i.e.ctrl+v, ctrl+i)
xmllint --format chapter01.xml

I opened it up in 'vi', set 'ts=4' and ensured no lines were longer than
80 chars.  Obviously, I think, this is the tradeoff between the spaces
vs. tabs debate.  If it was all indented with spaces, folks can't change
the width of the indent, but everyone sees the same number of chars on a
line.  If one indents with tabs, folks get to change the indent width,
but we can't then enforce a line length limit.  Or am I missing something?

Cheers,

Matt.