[RFC] SRS Section 3

James Robertson jwrober at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Feb 8 17:09:46 PST 2005

Matthew Burgess wrote:
> Well, to be honest, I was going to create an entirely separate document,
> though still docbook based, to hold this kind of stuff.  Call it a HLD
> (High-Level Design) or whatever, I couldn't care less to be honest, but
> it a) needs to be documented and b) shouldn't be in the SRS.  Just a
> warning - HLDs are the lowest level of documentation I'll contribute to
> :)  If properly done, the code should then be easily readable in
> relation to where abouts it fits into the big picture and the kind of
> logic it is utilising to get its job done.  All IMHO of course.

OK, that is fine.  I have already committed to doing all the other docs.
  If you want a separate doc for the high/low level design that is fine.

One major thing I want to see in the HLD (if that is what we want to
call it) is use cases especially on the client side.  Each UC should
have a BZ entry for it to track progress.  I have already placed a bunch
of BZ entries in the system to get ready for some things.  The IBM
Rational Unified Process calls the low level design documents different
things, use cases mostly.

Docs I was planning on handling (or at least leading):

.- ALFS DTD Syntax Doc
.- ALFS Users Guide
.- ALFS Hackers Guide
.- ALFS Logging DTD Syntax Doc

If we go RELAX-NG Schema design, then I will migrate the current ALFS
DTD Syntax Doc to a Schema design doc.

James