DTD/schema change proposal

Joachim Beckers jbeckers at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Feb 7 10:35:42 PST 2005

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Joachim Beckers wrote:
>
>> Element: {install}
>>
>> Syntax
>>   {!ELEMENT install    ((param | owner | group | permissions)*)}
>>   {!ATTLIST install
>>             base       CDATA
>>             directory  CDATA}
>

> I agree 100%. In fact, I had already built a handler for this for my own
> use at some time in the dark past, but I cannot find it now (it wasn't
> much code, though).
>
> You'll want to change the DTD syntax slightly so that
> owner/group/permissions must come before any parameters for
> consistency's sake.
>
> I would also suggest renaming "directory" to "mode", with two possible
> values: "file" and "directory", since it's really an either/or
> situation. This also allows future implementations to implement this
> directly, rather than using the install binary, if they so choose.

Well, as I said before, it's just a proposal that needs to bee looked at
by someone who knows XML better than I do. I agree on the "mode"
attribute, but I could think of other files that need to be installed
(think of links, devices, ...) On the other side I don't know wether
those options would be used frequently, so maybe for the sake of
simplicity it would be better to stick to "file" and "directory".

Joachim