LFS profile: ncurses won't build with -j3

Jeremy Huntwork jmhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Feb 7 07:16:48 PST 2005

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> I've been doing builds for the last few days as I've brought the LFS
> unstable profile up to date, and I've noticed that ncurses-5.4 reliably
> will _not_ build with "make -j3". I haven't tested with -j2, but I
> suspect that it will fail in the same way.
>
> If someone else can confirm what I'm seeing, I'll remove the "jlevel"
> entity from the ncurses builds, since it will just cause unnecessary
> failures.

Yep. Sounds good.

I've also come to appreciate that my description in the general.ent of
the parallel building may not be accurate.

On my machines, I can't get any performance improvement past -j3. This
is true of both my single processor machines and my SMP's. I haven't
tested with distcc, so that might be a different story, but for a single
machine, with or without SMP, -j3 is about as high as you can expect to
go and get any benefits.

That disagrees with my previous understanding of the parallel building.

--
Jeremy H.