DTD/schema change proposal

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Feb 7 07:03:45 PST 2005

Joachim Beckers wrote:

> Element: {install}
>
> Syntax
>   {!ELEMENT install    ((param | owner | group | permissions)*)}
>   {!ATTLIST install
>             base       CDATA
>             directory  CDATA}

I agree 100%. In fact, I had already built a handler for this for my own
use at some time in the dark past, but I cannot find it now (it wasn't
much code, though).

You'll want to change the DTD syntax slightly so that
owner/group/permissions must come before any parameters for
consistency's sake.

I would also suggest renaming "directory" to "mode", with two possible
values: "file" and "directory", since it's really an either/or
situation. This also allows future implementations to implement this
directly, rather than using the install binary, if they so choose.