DTD/schema change proposal

Joachim Beckers jbeckers at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Feb 7 04:07:06 PST 2005

Hi,

While working on the BLFS-profile, I've encountered lots and lots of
"install -d -o ... -g ... -m..." commands that currently are hard to
translate into XML. (Well, actually it's quite easy, but it could be
even easier. Read on.). I would like to see that a future version of the
DTD/schema will include a {install} tag to handle this. It wouldn't be
hard to implement and it will make the work of the profile editors a lot
easier.

More in detail, I suggest this: (taken from the DTD-docs)

Element: {install}

Syntax
   {!ELEMENT install    ((param | owner | group | permissions)*)}
   {!ATTLIST install
             base       CDATA
             directory  CDATA}

This element occurs in : Element : {alfs} | Element: {stage}

See also : Element: {param} | Element: {owner} | Element: {group} |
Element: {permissions}

Description

The install element is one of the top-level operation elements. It
describes the install command.

The param child-element allows you to specify parameters of the install
command.

The owner child-element allows you to specify the owner of the
file/directory to install.

The group child-element allows you to specify the group of the
file/directory to install.

The permissions child-element allows you to specify the permissions of
the file/directory to install.

The base attribute allows you to specify the directory in which the
operation will be performed. For a better description, see Element : {base}.

The directory attribute allows you to specify install's -d flag to
instruct install to treat all arguments as directory names.

Pleas note that my knowledge of DTD's is quite limited. Someone who
knows more about XML will probably have to check what I've written here.

Joachim