Some food for thought

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Feb 6 06:18:24 PST 2005

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> Matthew Burgess wrote:
>
>> OK, what do you want me to do with section 3 of the SRS?  Convert it
>> to XML first, then start editing it with the results of the
>> discussion, or do you want to edit the Wiki first, then have me (or
>> someone else of course) translate it to XML?
>

> Not sure how long we'll be continuing to use the Wiki. But still, why
> don't we go ahead and edit that first,

OK, I've made a start.  Here's what I did:

* Removed any hints of design that crept in there, so that these
sections now only concern themselves with *what* functionality needs to
be provided, not *how* it will be provided.
* Changed 'parsing' to 'processing' and 'DTD' to 'Schema'.
* Removed any mention of the old nALFS tool

It's now quite different from the previous version, and I hope of course
it's an improvement.  There's still some areas I think could be
clarified (e.g. 3.1.5 looks very much like design work to me, rather
than a requirement).  To be honest I think the entire SRS should just
have a list of numbered points saying what functionality alfs will
provide.  I'm not too sure if justification for each point needs to be
given in the SRS (or at all for that matter).

Thanks,

Matt.