Programming language

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Feb 5 12:32:53 PST 2005

Hui Zhou wrote:
> as long as it works and clean, why would "we" care for the standard?

That sounds so like something a Microsoft employee would write it's
scary!  The whole point of using a standard is precisely because it *is*
standard.  Why bother using it if we're going to do so in a non-standard
manner, hence break with everyone's reasonable expectations and
assumptions of how our tool will act?  I'm beginning to think you're
only writing these comments to hinder progress.  As such, as from now,
I'm going to no longer waste my time on such meaningless conversation.

We've already given you the reasons why we think it remains sensible to
stick with XML, I don't recall you ever rebutting those arguments, at
least not in a clear and concise manner.  Note that moving to something
other than XML will require 1) Defining a new format 2) Converting
existing profiles to that new format 3) Profile authors will have to
learn the new format 4) Implementing a parser, validator and processor
for it.  As such, whatever format you propose better have some *really*
strong arguments in favour of it to justify that level of work.

Matt.