[RFC] SRS Section 3

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Feb 5 07:05:14 PST 2005

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> The log files will support apending data to the end, so that if you build a package more than once, you can see the difference.

Erm, how does appending data to an existing log file support analysing
differences between them?  I'd have thought if we were to timestamp (or
even just uniquely number) the logs then it'd be easier to simply 'diff'
the two logs?  If we append the data to an existing file surely the user
(or a tool) is going to have to split the file first, then compare them?

I suppose as the logs are XML, we could have something like:

{alfsLogSet}
   {alfsLog}
   {/alfsLog}
   {alfsLog}
   {/alfsLog}
{/alfsLogSet}

Then we could run some XML processor/stylesheet via alfsd and have it
return the results to the ui.  Was this the initial thought behind the
'appending logs' design?

Either way I think what is currently written is more of an
implementation detail; the functional spec should just mention that
'alfs will be able to analyse differences between two different
installations of the same package' or words to that effect.

Cheers,

Matt.