Licensing and copyrighting the docs

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Feb 5 02:34:10 PST 2005

Folks,

The copyright and license on the current docs were added without any
discussion on this mailing list, for which I apologise.  However, I did
discuss general issues in IRC with both Jeremy H. and Jamie Bennett.
Again, I realise that this list should be the primary source of
discussion/decision making but I wanted to get started (and finished!)
a.s.a.p.

So, here's my reasons for doing what I did:

1) Copyright held by Jeremy H. - a copyright must be held by a legally
recognised entity, that is a company, a non-profit organisation or an
individual.  The reason being, that if someone infringes on a copyright
then the plaintiff has to be legally recognised to enforce their rights.
  IANAL so this may be inaccurate/incomplete, but it is what I based the
copyright decision on last night.  I realise that James Robertson
contributed the majority of the text I committed, and didn't mean to
inadequately attribute the text.  Suggestions on how we can best credit
the "Various Authors" are most welcome.

2) Use of "Creative Commons" License.  Again, I asked for opinions on
IRC and CC was mentioned.  It happens to be my preferred license for
textual works too, but that's beside the point.  The only other purely
documentation license I know of is the GNU Free Documentation License
(GFDL), but I didn't want our docs under that due to the reasons
outlined in http://home.twcny.rr.com/nerode/neroden/fdl.html.  Again, if
a change in licensing terms are required it should be easy enough to
change as Jeremy H. is the sole copyright holder ATM :)

Thanks,

Matt.