r1702 - in alfs/trunk/docs: . SRS SRS/chapter01 SRS/prologue

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Fri Feb 4 22:50:13 PST 2005

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

> You can have the copyright as far as I'm concerned.  Matt was just
> trying to figure this stuff out and I wasn't giving him any straight
> answers about what to do in IRC, so I think he just decided on this
> temporary measure.

Copyright is held by the original author, unless otherwise assigned.
Technically, since most of the work on the docs has been by James,
Jeremy H, and Matthew, and Matthew has already assigned his copyright to
Jeremy, then the copyright should be James and Jeremy.

> I'm fairly ignorant when it comes to proper licensing issues and
> copyrights and all that.  Whatever is the best thing to 'protect' our
> docs from unauthorized reproduction (whatever that means exactly... :/
> ) and at the same time gives proper credit is fine with me.

For printed materials such as this, I've always liked the ideas behind
the Creative Commons licensing that Matthew set up.  In short, anyone
utilizing the work must give credit to the original author of the work,
you may not use the work (the SRS) for commercial purposes, and anything
you derive from that work must be licensed under the same license (share
alike).

-J-