[RFC] SRS Section 3

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Feb 4 19:20:42 PST 2005

James Robertson wrote:

>                   folks.  Also, if you try to remove a package that in
> the middle of a dependency tree somewhere, you should get an error.  The
> log should have the dependency tree in it when a package is installed
> (taken from the profile).  The way a profile is not required to remove a
> package.

This brings to mind something else that I had been wanting to build in
to the "dependency" stuff: versioning.

For example, it would be very nice to be able to not only indicate that
OpenSSH is dependent on OpenSSL, but also that OpenSSH should
_automatically_ be rebuilt if a new version of OpenSSL is installed with
a higher major/minor number than the previously installed version.

This gets a bit tricky, in the sense that each package has its own
versioning scheme and the rules for what constitutes an "in-place" vs.
"rebuild" upgrade would have to be thought out for each one separately.
However, if "package management" is something that is going to be in the
goals for the alfs tool, I think this is very important. I think it
would be very useful to be able to fire up the UI, download the latest
updated profile, and have not only all the updated packages get built,
but also their "forward" dependencies that need rebuilding.