Client/Server - please straighten out the terms

lanas lanas at securenet.net
Fri Feb 4 09:27:12 PST 2005

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 14:11:16 -0500
Jeremy Huntwork <jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> Jeremy Utley wrote:
> >

> > Exactly.  The machine holding the profiles is the remote machine.
> > The  machines you're building LFS on are local to you, you run the
> > client on  them, they access the central server for the profile to
> > build with, and  commence the build.
> >

> Not quite. In fact the reverse.  We're talking about administrating
> installs, either remotely, or locally.  The user interface is the
> client  and connects to an alfs daemon, either on a local machine or a
> remote  machine and asks that daemon to start building, either on the
> remote  machine or the local machine. The daemon is the server in that
> it is  responding to the client's request to start building and
> returns logs.  Where you store your profiles is of no consequence -
> the daemon just  needs to be fed them.

This is an idea I also had recently.  I already made an installation
system based on text files that builds complete systems and does extra
stuff like making ISO images for booting machines with or USB sticks to
also boot machines with, etc...  CH5 and CH6 are built on the host then
the components needed to build application software are added, then an
ISO image is made from which boots VMware to completly compile
application software inside this brand new virtual machine.  Then
selective parts are put to media and installed on target machines in
either runtime or development mode.

Anyhow, the idea I had is exactly the same as yours.  An installation
daemon (server) to which any type of GUI can connect be it ncurses, Qt,
GTK, etc... based.  Or the daemon can proceeds on its own if it finds
the needed files.  Communication could be handled through IPC, but
TCP/IP can be a big plus for networked setups which boots minimal and
runs the daemon (server).  The daemon (server) would return machine
information to the GUI which could (or not) ask the user to make
some choices.  The GUI configures the files, sends them to the daemon
(server) and there it goes.

  Heck, the daemon (server) could even create some config files
(frameworks) based on what he sees from the hardware.  These would be
given to the GUI for refinement.

  The whole idea is quite interesting.

Cheers,

Al