[RFC] SRS Section 3

Hui Zhou zhouhui at wam.umd.edu
Fri Feb 4 08:51:45 PST 2005

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 11:09:15AM -0500, Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
>Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
>>3.1.2 Conditional Execution
>>
>>One of the major problems with the current nALFS is that there is no way
>>to handle conditional execution (if, then, else). To really make alfs
>>the premier LFS build tool, there has to be a way to handle conditions.
>
>I've seen this one mentioned a lot, but I haven't heard much of anything
>in the way of how we would implement this. Anyone have an idea already?

A programs's complexity is most partially measured by the number (or
level) of branching or loop constructs. If the software was not
designed to handle branching from the begining, it can be a very
difficult thing to handle. However, if the designer had this in mind
on starting from ground up, I don't expect to see this to be a
difficult task.

If one think alfs profile as a language, it has to be a dynamic
languages as most conditionals need to be evaluated in real time.
So bear in mind, once these constructs are allowed, some task such as
sanity verification before executing can be very difficult, because
some elements will just remain unknown until runtime.

>Kevin, you mentioned XML as a communication protocol. I'd like to hear
>some more details on that please.

I believe he just mean sending the whole profile verbatim between two
ends.

>>3.2 Usability
>>3.2.1 Internationalization
>>
>>The LFS community is made up of many people from many nationalalities
>>and native languages. nALFS should support a facility of i18n plugins.
>>The native language of the tool will be English, but should support the
>>ability of any native language given a person to write a translation.
>
>I think that would be great - but it's kind of a hard thing to implement
>when LFS itself isn't fully i18n'd, eh?

It's two different thing.
Internationalization support in alfs just mean the profile may contain
say chinese tags, package names, etc. And alfs should not confused by
those funny chars and be able to use them.
Internationalization in lfs refer to the i18n support in packages,
nothing related to alfs. English alfs can build fullly internationalized
system and vice versa.

--
Hui Zhou