[RFC] SRS Section 2

Richard Betel emteeoh at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 15:04:34 PST 2005

> I, see, this is where you *might* be misunderstanding.  When we say
> "validate" we're talking *only* about the structure/syntax of the data,
> not its content.  i.e. we can check that for each package we want to
> build there is a <download> tag and that each "download" tag has a "url"
> element.  However, once we've got that far, *XML validation* goes no
> further.

It seems like its high time everyone started using some good nomenclature here.

The DTD defines a syntax. XMLlint will check that a chunk of XML is
syntactically valid.
XML libraries will allow devellopers to not need to write a scanner or
a parser, but it doesn't free them from the yoke of code generation.

If I follow the arguments:
For XML:
- We already have a syntax definition
- We already have a syntactic verifier
- We already have a scanner
- We already have a parser

Against XML:
- XML libraries are big and cumbersome
- XML is over-wrought for our purposes
- some feel the big problem with profiles is going to be in the
semantics, not the syntax, and therefore XML's advantages are of
little value.