[RFC] SRS Section 2

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Feb 3 14:33:48 PST 2005

Hui Zhou wrote:

>> Hui, please read the XML spec regarding what the terms "well-formed"
>> and "valid" mean.
>

> You suggest me reading that l-e-n-g-t-h-y spec again! :-{

No, just the definitions you can find at the start of each and every w3
spec.  See http://w3.org/TR/1998/REC-xml-19980210#sec-well-formed and
http://w3.org/TR/1998/REC-xml-19980210#sec-conformance.

>> What do you propose the server do with a tag like "<bankaccount>" or
>> "<banana>" for example?
>

> Ignore.

Silently?  Going back to your previous example of a C compiler, how
useful would it be if you gave the compiler invalid C code and it
silently ignored those lines of code?  I'm not talking about code that
is syntactically valid but contains logic-errors or other classes of
bugs, I'm talking about stuff like a missing ';'.

>> If the server is presented with something like this it has to bail out
>> because the profile author obviously intended those tags to do
>> something, but the server doesn't know how to handle them.
>

> Is that your philosophy? I spoke some chinese to you and you don't
> understand and you just stand there "bail out"?

No, I'd tell you "I don't understand what you're saying, could you speak
English please".  Much like the server should say "I don't understand
the data you gave me, please give me [ALFS structured data format] instead."

> Say under download tag is a invalid url, does that mean the server
> should not bail out because it is been validated.

I, see, this is where you *might* be misunderstanding.  When we say
"validate" we're talking *only* about the structure/syntax of the data,
not its content.  i.e. we can check that for each package we want to
build there is a <download> tag and that each "download" tag has a "url"
element.  However, once we've got that far, *XML validation* goes no
further.

Regards,

Matt.