[RFC] SRS Section 2

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Thu Feb 3 14:40:10 PST 2005

Gerard Beekmans wrote:

>So far that's almost the same as myself and others have proposed. Now one
>question remains that I'm unclear on: who selects what profile to use?
>
>The machine being built would fetch the profile from someplace in your model,
>for instance http://ipaddress/alfs-profiles/belgarath.xml

The way I envisioned it was a daemon running on a remote server, that
could hand out profiles based on a user request.  So, if you wanted to
get the XML profile for a PPC build, you could perhaps tell the ALFS
client running on the machine you're going to be building to access a
profile located at, say, alfs://ninja.linux-phreak.biz/ppc-lfs - I think
to do this the way I envision, there would need to be a special
communication protocol used.

The ALFS daemon running on ninja.linux-phreak.biz would then parse the
profile, ensure it's present, valid, and so on, then instruct the client
on the machine to be built what steps to take in the build.  The idea
being, the profile never has to be downloaded to the computer being
built, but instead, the client doing the building would take it's
instructions from the profile server.

-J-