[RFC] SRS Section 2

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Thu Feb 3 13:59:16 PST 2005

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

> Jeremy U., in light of what I just said, if you'd like to formalize
> your idea of a profile server and present it here in full, I'd
> appreciate that as well.
>
> --
> Jeremy H.

Well, this is what I'd always thought of when we'd talk about a
client/server model.  The idea I had was of a profile stored elsewhere,
be it on the local network, or perhaps even a public profile server on
the internet.  There would be no need for the machine being built to
have the full profile at all...it would get it's instructions from the
profile server, and carry out those instructions locally.

The main issue I can see with this is system configuration...but that
could be worked around by writing some additional information into the
DTD to allow user interaction - the profile instructs the program to ask
the user what IP address they want, and so on.

-J-