Client/Server - please straighten out the terms

James Robertson jwrober at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Feb 3 11:25:03 PST 2005

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> Randy McMurchy wrote:
>
>> So, what pre-req is there on BOX1 when you say the packages must be
>> setup?
>
> I think what James meant, correct me if I am wrong ;), is that you
> *could* have all the packages ready to go on the system ahead of time -
> but that the daemon would be able to grab them on the fly if they aren't
> stored locally somewhere.

Correct.  This all depends on the profile you send the daemon from the
client.  If the profile is not written to enable downloads, then one
pre-req on BOX1 would be local packages.  If you write in the profile a
download location for a package (in the {copy} element), then you don't
really have a pre-req of local packages.  I for one, would not have
local packages.  I have a local FTP server that houses all my packages
and I have my profile get them all the time even in the old nALFS tool.

James