Client/Server - please straighten out the terms

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Feb 3 09:14:26 PST 2005

Jeremy Huntwork wrote these words on 02/03/05 10:59 CST:
> Randy McMurchy wrote:
>
>>So, what pre-req is there on BOX1 when you say the packages must be
>>setup?
>
> I think what James meant, correct me if I am wrong ;), is that you
> *could* have all the packages ready to go on the system ahead of time -
> but that the daemon would be able to grab them on the fly if they aren't
> stored locally somewhere.

Ah, so it's not really a pre-req. In fact, probably something you
don't need to do at all. If the daemon can get instructions from
the UI client to download the packages, why would you go to the
trouble of manually downloading them to begin with?

I thought the whole point of this discussion was ironing out ways
to update *many* boxes at one time. Seems it would be a hassle to
manually download all the packages when it is automated using the
alfs tool.

Thanks, Jeremy.

--
Randy

rmlinux: [GNU ld version 2.15.91.0.2 20040727] [gcc (GCC) 3.4.1]
[GNU C Library 2004-07-01 release version 2.3.4] [Linux 2.6.8.1 i686]
11:11:00 up 10 days, 1:13, 8 users, load average: 0.06, 0.12, 0.12